Monday, April 9, 2007

300

Quick little blurb on the movie 300 which I saw this weekend. I just read a review on hotmail entertainment, and the movie was basically ripped to shreds.

Now, the movie is quite gory, and there is a lot of violence...point taken, but having studied Ancient history and this particular Battle of Thermoplyae, I can tell you that there were a lot of accurate portrayals. Even the amount of violence and hard life of the Spartans, is accurate to the best knowledge of historians, even if it is gruesome. The lifestyle was pretty accurate, the soldiers (leaving their parents, being starved, etc.), the tough Spartan women, valuing war....

This author makes numerous cracks at the movie, one being the use of war elephants, why not they say? Well, ridiculous as it sounds, they existed and came from Northern Africa; whether or not the Persians used them I can not specifically recall, but they did at least exist!!

So, my point...? The plot is not "over-the-top" or made up, it was a real battle, where 300 Spartan soldiers died for the freedom of their people and all of Greece. Besides what I have mentioned, there are elements up for debate (like how the Persians found the path through the mountain), but it was definitely NOT laughable.
I recommend anyone with an interest in Ancient history, Spartan history, or action films, this movie is worth seeing.

I would just like to add that before one tries to critique a movie they should do some research regarding it's accuracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: