Sunday, April 8, 2007

Math

Not surprising that I would be blogging about math...since that is what most of my blogs are about. I can't help it, math is such a wonderful subject. I am currently working on an assignment for my Math 308 class, and one of the questions involves finding the slope of the tangent line to the circle x² + y² = 25 at the point (3,4). Sounds a little confusing at first, but what they are asking for is to find the derivative of this function....what is the function? Well the function is y, so if we solve for y, we get f(x) = √(25-x²). How I had to find this was using 4 different methods.

I am a little rusty on my calculus since I haven't touched any in 3 and a half years. So it took a lot more effort and figuring out than it should have, but while I was working away I was totally happy, and content. Sitting down figuring out a problem, was not stressful (like so many papers and projects that I have to do), it was just nice and relaxing, even when I was coming up with dead ends!!! = )

Once I started getting back into things, and I started remembering stuff again, it was real nice and I never fully realized how much I missed doing stuff like that until now.

No comments: